Stage 4B – Advanced Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
This course provides participants with the knowledge and skills to undertake manual metal arc welding process in accordance with AS/NZS 1554. Participants who successfully complete this course will also receive a Statement of Attainment for the associated units of competence from the MEM05 Metal and Engineering Training Package.
Participants wishing to undertake this course must:
- complete Stage 1 – Introduction to Welding and Stage 2B Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW) or
- demonstrate competence in the prerequisite units of competence through Recognition of Prior learning and Current Competence.
The course will cover:
- preparation of materials
- selecting and setting up the welding equipment
- carrying out advanced gas metal arc welding (MGAW)
- inspecting for and correcting defects
- maintaining the weld records
If you wish to be assessed for the manual metal arc welding units you will need to have completed or demonstrated competency in all units in Stage 1 Introduction to Welding. Knowledge and skills are assessed throughout the course through a number of assessment methods including:
- written and verbal knowledge tests
- practical skill assessments
- workplace evidence